Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Simplicity and the Cry for Greens














Most raw foodist know that eventually you crave simple meals. I haven't been making really messy combinations per say, but I definitely haven't been combing food all that well. I could feel my body crying for lemon water AND greens so I set out to make my favorite green smoothie. Spinach/banana/strawberries. I actually really packed the spinach down at the bottom...add water and yum yum yum! It's chilling in the fridge and I can't wait to drink it this morning. Yesterday I made Alissa's Date/Nut/Torte with raspberries. This is the easiest possible raw food recipe with only three ingredients (I opt out of teh 1/2 squeezed lemon) and add raspberries..so 4 ingredients I guess.
This leads me to think about something much deeper...our need for simplicity. I feel great when I whip up a HUGE salad with red leaf/kale/tomato/olive and fresh squeezed lime. I do still love to make raw enchiladas/pizza and all the complicated stuff ..there is just real true pleasure in the simple and quick meals.
While reading Anastasia, I am constantly reminded of just how complicated we have made the world with our technology and I am really realizing that THIS is why all the "connected" souls are feeling the urge to go back to a simpler way of life: raw food, growing your own veggies/fruits, spending my time with our kids and less time and money on crappy material possessions. If we can all make this shift, then love will eminate and eventually take over the world.
My daughter reminds me that true beauty is found in the simpliest of activities. She doesn't gravitate toward fancy toys, but rathers notebooks and markers to draw with or boxes and other crafts. She is truly a crystal child and at only 3 times around the sun is far wiser than most give her credit for.
So time for a change...and with that in mind I've been cleaning up and "clearing" out all sorts of things. I have this immense pressure to rid my surrounding of negative people and old material possessions that at one time I thought that by holding onto them, I would be saving some sort of the memory. I now know that the memory is in my heart and soul.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Ghandi

No comments:

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin