Saturday, August 25, 2007

How Buddha is my Baby?





I was rather busy in the kitchen the other day and I told my daughter to go and play with some of her teddy bears. She eagerly began to do so. I could hear her uttering sometimes inaudible sentences and I smiled with delight that she was being so compliant. Well, I walked out of the kitchen and saw her standing in front of the bears saying "It's okay bear, we found your mommie". She had put the younger one in the "mother's" lap and had given them both oranges!!!!!!!!! How Buddha is she? She was so happy to have "fed the hungry" I was ready to cry.


I loved Gela's review of Anastasia. It was so precise and dead on, I need not do my own (for now anyway ;-) I normally read very quickly. I actually take in everything, but I am just a fast reader. I have always loved books and loved knowledge. However, I am reading the Ringing Cedar Series with extreme care...it's almost like I'm studying them. I would normally progress through a series with no other "fiction" books in between, but there is a book being read by now across the country that I HAD to pick up. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Let's be honest, I am NOT one of those Oprah book club people. I don't read a book b/c the entire country is reading it, but I am going to read this book because it is supposed to show the inner workings of a boy with Autism's brain! As a mom of a child with Autism, I will support authors that write Autism fiction! Here is a brief review of what the book is about copied DIRECTLY from the Doubleday Books Publishing Website :

"Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, Christopher is autistic. Everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning for him. Routine, order and predictability shelter him from the messy, wider world. Then, at fifteen, Christopher’s carefully constructed world falls apart when he finds his neighbor’s dog, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork, and he is initially blamed for the killing. Christopher decides that he will track down the real killer and turns to his favorite fictional character, the impeccably logical Sherlock Holmes, for inspiration. But the investigation leads him down some unexpected paths and ultimately brings him face to face with the dissolution of his parents’ marriage. As he tries to deal with the crisis within his own family, we are drawn into the workings of Christopher’s mind.And herein lies the key to the brilliance of Mark Haddon’s choice of narrator: The most wrenching of emotional moments are chronicled by a boy who cannot fathom emotion. The effect is dazzling, making for a novel that is deeply funny, poignant, and fascinating in its portrayal of a person whose curse and blessing is a mind that perceives the world literally.The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is one of the freshest debuts in years: a comedy, a heartbreaker, a mystery story, a novel of exceptional literary merit that is great fun to read"

On another note: Yesterday I ate a TON of food. There was a picnic for my grad school program (Community Psych and Social Change) and I made raw walnut/raisin/date/coconut balls (will post a pic tomorrow) and vegan oatmeal/apple muffins for the kids. I also ate an entire raw chocolate bar....a banana.....and then at 10:30pm a MASSIVE salad. I actually couldn't sleep b/c my stomach was hurting so badly. Note to self: do NOT eat that late at nite!!


Today is a new day full of promise and hope...dreams and intuition. I have raw chocolate/banana ice cream waiting for me...a juicy watermelon....local organic tomatoes, and yoga. My beautiful daughter is ready to take on the day so what more can I ask for?!?!

No comments:

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin