Monday, October 20, 2008

Price, Privilege & Chakra 2 Day 2 Cleanse


Hey Green Juice Drinkers!! My Chakra Day 1 cleanse went as to be expected. Whenever I start digging into "survival" thoughts and "basic need" thoughts, I get allllll out of sorts. It throws me off my crap horse big time. I will report tomorrow about my grounding meditation b/c I have to do it when I get off the comp.

So the lovely Veg Next Door sent me a question:

"Hiya, While packing up some books I came across my yoga books and realized it's been a VERY long time since I dedicated myself to a yoga practice. How do you fit yoga, other forms of exercise, meditation and food preparation along with the other daily things? Do you follow a schedule? Do you sleep? :-) I would love some tips. Currently, I'm doing a lot of strength training. I spent the past summer running a lot. I found it was all I had time for but I do miss yoga"

Hey Veg!! I will be totally honest....it's difficult to get it all in in a day's time. I don't approach it as really "hard" b/c if you put those thoughts out there then it will seem more difficult than it is. I see eating raw and training as a privilege NOT A chore (more on this in a minute). I keep a daily log (I mentioned it a few days ago). It has a sort of check list of all the things I need to get done in the day ...EVERYday. After a few days of having to check it off... I just remembered what I needed to do. With that said, pace yourself. I am the full time mom of a disabled preschooler, a full time doctoral student, poor and a single mom. TRUST ME if I can do it..you can too.

Do I sleep? 5-6 hrs a nite is my average. I think that's great! My goal here is to live a full life. If I am tired...I will sleep. But, I love having time for myself, which only happens in the gym and after Kay goes to bed...so my time is limited.

About your yoga. If you wanna get back into it...get up 30 mins before everyone else if you have a hubby and/or kids. Spend 15 mins on meditatin and only 15 mins on yoga. I say only 15 b/c it's doable..it's easy and you will feel confident enough to continue. I love writing long notes like "yoga 1 hr Mon-thurs".... BOOOOOMMMMPPPPP Wrong answer. It's a set up for failure. Set a goal of 3 xs a week for two week doing 15-30 mins each time. Get a great magazine and some relaxing music, or get a short DVD that inspires you and rol with it. If the AM just isn't your thing, try nitetime (my favorite). I like to do it in my living room when Kennedy is asleep with 4-5 candles burning. It's intimate and beautiful and time just for me.

Raw food prep: yes I do get heavy into gourmet during the winter, but I also uncook smart. I will take a huge bowl...and make a kale salad that can last two days or three... make a huge regular lettuce (romaine, arugula, red leaf) and let it sit in a container too. Cover it with saran wrap or the next sticky kinda saran wrap and bam. All you have to do is grab a handful, add your olives, or whatever and you're good to go. Slice an avocado into it, grab a plate of flax crackers and bam! Quick lunch. Get nori sheets if you like seaweed...I love seaweed...roll up tomato, avocado, lettuce, onion... bam! (no I am not making fun of Emeril!)

So Veg, in a walnutshell, make a list...set small attainable goals....uncook smart, and if you want it, it will happen for you. See it all as a gift , not a nuisance.

Speaking of gifts and privilege. Anyone reading this blog, anyone interested in this lifestyle is of distinct privilege. I say this b/c this isn't something talked about this in the raw world. People spout off all these "shoulds", and "betters", but they don't realize that everybody can. I talk about this privilege, b/c I am the first person in my entire extended and nuclear family who has even become vegetarian.. NO ONE in my family knew what vegan meant and definitely not raw. I grew up in inner city New Orleans and no one was interested (not me either) in discovering anything different. I sought out on my own through my Spirit this different lifestyle. So every now and then I stop to say thank you to the Divine and the Universe that I am privileged enough to have come across this information via reading/internet searching and that we shouldn't go around saying what others "out to" and "should" be doing.

Organic

I can't afford all organic. Do I know alllllll about herbicides and pesticides? Well, do you know my bank account amount? I do the best I can with all I have. Greens ALWAYS organic... Kennedy's veggies and fruits... always organic. I buy unorganic apples and peel them for me. I buy froz blueberries (b/c they are high in antioxidants), but truth is I sometimes buy froz strawberries. I buy raw cashews, but rarely organic. Very rarely, if ever, organic raw almonds.

I found this list here on MSNBC .

The “Dirty Dozen”: Must-buy organic foods
Fruit
Apples (I buy unorganic for myself and peel)
Cherries
Grapes, imported (Chili) (sometimes buy unorganic)
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Raspberries
Strawberries (sometimes buy unorganic)

Vegetables
Bell peppers
Celery
Potatoes
Spinach

No need to go organic with these foods:Fruit
Bananas (organic taste better)
Kiwi
Mangos
Papaya
Pineapples
Vegetables
Asparagus
Avocado
Broccoli (always buy organic)
Cauliflower
Corn
Onions (always buy organic)
Peas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For anyone interested in the Chakra cleanse that I'm doing...here's more Day 1 Base Chakra info:

Day 1 : Base Chakra RED

"This is the foundation of our entire system-the building block on which all the other chakras must rest- so this chakra is of crucial importance. It relates to the element earth, and all solid, earthly things...our bodies, our health, our survival, our material and monetary existence, and our ability to focus and manifest our needs."

Element: Earth
Function: Survival, grounding
Inner State: Stillness, security, stability
Rights: Right to be here, right to have
Malfunction: Weight problems, hemorrhoids, constipation, knee troubles, degenerative arthritis
Sense: Smell
Foods: Proteins, meats
Incense: Cedar
Minerals: ruby, garnet, bloodstone
Hindu Dieties: Brahma, Dakini, Ganesha, Kubera, Uma, Lakshmi, Prisni
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today I was so hungry! So I ate (remember what I said:-)
I had...

Bkfst: Green juice (cuke, kale, apple, lemon)
snack: smoothie with 2 bananas, e3live and Vitamineral greens
lunch: kale salad with vegan hemp dressing and pinenuts. 1 nori wrapped with avo/tomato
snack: 5 apples into applesauce with cinnamon and honey
dinner: huge bowl of chia seeds soaked in pumpkinseed mylk with 1 tbsp yacon syrup with 1 banana sliced in and 1 cup of strawberries...ohhhh yea!
dessert: huge green smoothie with 1 c froz blueberries, 2 bananas, spinach, almond mylk

Tomorrow is Day 2 of the cleanse. I'm excited.

I will blog allllllll about it, as well as, my meditation from tonite.

4 comments:

Torrance Stephens - All-Mi-T said...

Nice spot u have here, hope u don’t mind the drive by, do chk me out one day

rawdawgbuffalo and if u like what u read, maybe u will come back, even Blog Roll Me

The Veg Next Door said...

Thank you for the information. I agree that what we have is a privelege. I will put your tips to good use. I just need to figure out my priorities and make things happen.

I once had a speaker at one of the running clinics that I taught and she said, "At the moment of commitment the universe conspires to assist you." So true.

Like the new layout of the blog.

RawFitMama said...

Torrance- thanks for the compliment! I like your page too. Your daughter is beautiful.

Veg- you got my email right?? aNd I LOVE that quote..SO TRUE. but so easy to forget sometimes

The Veg Next Door said...

Hiya, I don't think I did. When did you send it? I'll recheck my Trash & Junk.

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin