Saturday, November 15, 2008

Strawberry Apple Cobbler and Loving my Gym

Hey Alkaline PeaPods!!

Yesterday was a busy day... Kay went to school and I had things to do around the house so decided to forgo the gym and workout at home. I had a blast! I did kickboxing for 45 minutes and then some random hip hop dance before showering and running to the library before meeting her therapist at school. I was so grateful for the 15 minutes that I had to read a magazine in total quiet....ahhhhh it is the small things in life. I found myself taking forever to decide which magazine to get! I told myself to enjoy the moment and just get one that appealed to me. I wrapped myself up in 15 straight minutes of bliss and then checked out.

I met Kennedy's therapist at school to discuss a few things. We are on the same team and they all just understand that MOMMIE BEAR runs the ship!! No one tells me what Kennedy can't do...no one tells me what's too much for her. I am her mother and I know her better than anyone else on this planet!

Today I made a celebration dessert for myself and realized that I could have done without the crust and the crumble topping (recipe below). For me as a nutlover that was big news to myself!! OH me oh my...greens are curing me of my terrible sweethtooth (unless you count the midnite Coconut/date/banana smoothie from the other day ;-)

Kay and I got to the gym later than expected today, but I knew I would push it out with all my might in my short time. A little time is better than no time peapods! I absolutely love my new gym. I just feel at home there. Everyone is doing their own thing. Unlike the other gym where everyone stares at you constantly. I dont' mind or care...I go about my business, but it is annoying and interrupts my flow. Today I did 35 mins on the elliptical (while watching 90210- the original), and went into the women's gym (am loving the quiet in there) and did a mish-mosh of fullbody stuff. In no order I did.

  • squats

  • tricep kickback

  • lunges

  • deadlifts

  • ball roll ups
  • oblique hangovers

  • arnold press

  • bicep curls
  • ab knee ups

I think that's it. Tomorrow we are gonna try to get there a little earlier and it's a cardio + abs day so I'm excited.

I decided to make a dessert for myself tonite so I headed out in the nitetime rain to get the ingredients. I wanted something sweet and kinda heavy, but kinda light. This was a great choices. Here is my modified version of Cafe' Gratitude's "I am Lovely: Strawberry Apple Cobbler


For the crust

4 1/2 c pecans (do not soak)

3 tbsp well-packed dates

2 tbsps cinnamon

1 tbsp vanilla

1/8 tsp sea salt

For the Filling:

8 c sliced apples

5 c sliced strawberries

1/4 c lemon

1 tbsps vanilla

pinch of salt






To make the crust: In the bowl of your food processor fitted with the "S" Blade, process for 1 minute 3 cups of the pecans with the cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Continue to process while adding small amounts of the dates. Then place in a bowl and add remaining 1 1/2 c pecans. Press the crust into your pan, setting aside 1 1/2 cp of this crust mixture for the topping.

To make the filling: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Evenly distribute the filling on top of the crust. Then crumble the remaining crust on the top.

Jayna's Substitutions: I took an extra cup of strawberries and put in the food processor until liquidy, I mixed in with the berries and apples.






I wish I wouldn't have added the extra pecans...it was just too much for me.

I can honestly say that I will make the "filling" part again without the crust or at least only 1/4 the crust and topping! yum yum





Tomorrow is a busy day ...duh... I have laundry to do that I put off today so that Kay and I could go to lunch together. We went to a Mexican restaurant where I had a plain salad with guacamole and pico de gallo...she had chips and salsa and a salad. She gets so excited when we go out to eat b/c she always eats at home!!! Well, today she ate some locally grown organic cabbage and a side of sweet potatoes (steamed with cinnamon and agave) ...she LOVED it!

I'll be back tomorrow with something uplifting and fun!

3 comments:

jessica said...

great cobbler.
great gym
great mommy you are.

debbiedoesraw said...

Hey miss, you little raw cook you!
That cobbler looks super good was it???
looking for turkey day recipes!
deb from CSL

RawFitMama said...

jessica- thank you sweetheart

deb- HEY GYRL!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yea...I'm going to New Orleans for Thanksgiving and will be uncooking it up...you know Imma post it!

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin