Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My First Attempt at Patio Gardening!-- TV Tuesday

Before I get started, today I went to Weight Watchers and threw my "Lifetime" Status around and weighed in. Just having to stand there in judgment (totally overreacting) was enough to make me feel on the ball. Is there someone you can feel "accountable to"?

Last Friday I put my muscle into making my own patio garden. I don't own my home and this townhouse development I live in doesn't allow major planting of anything on the ground. So, I did some research and came up with a few great ways to start cultivating my green thumb. Let me say that this "garden" has been about 5 years in the making. But my perfectionist traits wouldn't ever let me feel I was ready to actually start one. I need more money. I need more space. I need to be more knowledgeable about it. I need..I need...I need... Finally on Friday I was in home depot for mirror screws and decided that NOW was the time. I sought out a knowledgeable sales associate with some time on his hands and I picked his brain.

My fully loaded Home Depot Cart



Yummmmmmmy

Car loaded! I can fit anything I want into that VW Beetle!

I'd already watched endless youtube videos and read a ton, but still didn't feel ready. Although a storm was due to come the next day, I set my gears to working on it. I set out in the sun (one of the only really warm Spring days so far) to build this garden. My neighbors (not the friendly people I've met in life) kept coming out on their decks and looking at me like I was insane. Perhaps it was because I had 12 pieces of ply wood spread out everywhere, or maybe because I kept running in circles lifting my shirt up over my head to dodge yellow jackets (bees)...either way I set out to do my own thing. I sang to myself as it took me about 3 hours to full open, set up, plant all my veggies. This is my FIRST FIRST FIRST attempt at finally starting my own garden. A true lifelong dream of mine. Money is very limited so I decided to start with one 4x4 and one herb bed. My herb bed (lavender, thyme, oregano, basil)  is dead thanks to the storm that came :( but I will replant it this weekend on Earth Day with Kennedy.


Getting Set up. My Red compost bucket cracked in a million pieces. WTF??

Making accurate measurements.
It was so windy I had to use things to hold down my sheet!

35lbs each bag. I had to bring them up a hill. I felt like I was on the Biggest Loser


Ready to be planted!



 
My lonely basil..she is all wilted after the winds came


Fully assembled raised garden on my patio! (before the storm came)
That's a tomato cage in the corner

Using organic soil. Gave all my compost away:(


What I planted:
  • red peppers
  • 2 rows of cukes (2 vines)
  • vine tomatoes
  • swiss chard
  • 3 types of lettuce
  • beets
  • basil
  • lavender
  • thyme
  • oregano
If all goes well financially speaking, I will get another raised garden to build next to it and will add:
  • zucchini
  • three more tomato vines
  • onions
  • three more lettuces (lettuce? lettuci? whatever :-)
  • more red peppers
This garden represents so much more than just seeds in the ground cover by soil. This is me shifting into a different consciousness. This is me saying goodbye to perfectionism and accepting what is while moving forward in the direction of my dreams. Guess what? If I keep waiting, I will never be__________ (rich, have the time, be in the position enough etc.) to get anything done. I was very impressed with my work. There are no more excuses for me. NONE. I have to do most everything (98%) alone. So I used chairs to hold things in place while I drilled and nailed...no biggie! NO excuses. What would your life looked like if you had no excuses? What would it look like if you stared FEAR (false evidence appearing real) in the face and said fuck it and did the shit anyway??? That's the space I'm living in now. Fearless. Bold. Daring. Alone. I'm empowered and liberated. For that that don't like it...so what.


What I Wish I Knew Before Starting:
  • You don't have to know EVERYTHING about gardening to start.
  • There is a plethora of resources just waiting for me
  • Home Depot staff in that area are trained and willing to answer any and all questions you may have
  • You don't need a fortune to start a garden
  • You can start now and build every year!
  • Learn from the "global visual university" aka YouTube by clicking here!
  • I am learning more about container gardening and will share as the Spring continues (if it ever starts here in PA)


Earth Day Activities:
  • Take a walk out in Mother Nature and collect as many things as we can along the way.
  • Go for a short bike/scooter ride in our cul-de-sac
  • Make out own compost (blog will be up next week about it)
  • Plant an organic sunflower in the cutest plantar ever for Kennedy
  • Kennedy goes with her dad and I am going to go to few local events/vegan samplings. Don't forget I live in a freak-ass small town so I'll be home soon
  • Take a bike ride! - post later this week
Tuesdays are TV Tuesdays in my house. The only day that I dedicate to watching tv. I watch The Biggest Loser and Parenthood. It was soooooooooooo awesome.

Upcoming on the Blog:

  1. April is Autism Awareness Month- "Autism Thru the Years"
  2. My "Treadmill Races"- 2 5ks in April; 2 5ks and a 10k in June; 1/2 marathon in July
  3. Biking Post- Facing a Major Fear
  4. At Home Workouts vs Gym Workouts- My preferences and resources for each

2 comments:

Lina40 said...

OY why did you give your compost away? you can still use it when it breaks down... all you need is an empty pot of dirt large enough to bury your scraps and turn it over somewhat regularly.

Oh and check out youtube for SIP- (self-irrigating) plant containers. these are like those expensive self-watering pots, but you can make your own and they are SUPER EASY to do patio gardening with. Last summer I also bought some Earth boxes, online, and although they were pricey, I had so many veggies i couldnt believe it!
i need to update my blog with pics ... happy gardening!
Lina

VeganFitMama said...

Lina- HOw did I miss your comment!!!! Thanks for the tips. I started up my compost now. Had to relegate myself to use a plain black trash can..gasp...was holding out for the red one, but had to settle. Thanks for the youtube tips. You rock big time gyrl!

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin