Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Autism- My Truth...The Blessing

Autism is a bitch. I can say that because my kiddo has Autism. I dare anyone challenge me on it. I see so many Autism moms...day after day...deluding themselves (IMO) that Autism is the best thing that ever happened to them. I'm here to tell you-- that is complete bullshit. Autism is real. Autism can be devastating. Autism fucking sucks. Now onto the good stuff ;-) Autism is magical. Autism is brilliant. Autism is sensitive. Autism is creative. It is so many things I never knew that I needed until she came along.

 With "1 in 110" being diagnosed, I am sure that whoever is reading directly knows someone affected by Autism, or you know someone who knows someone.

Cool sites to learn about Autism Info:
Great Autism Blogs- To See Thru the Eyes of Autism
Things that made a World of a Difference for my daughter:
  • Being vegan
  • Going GLUTEN FREE. I didn't wait for a Celiac diagnosis..I did it ASAP
  • All organics for her (in the first 18 months of the diagnosis)
  • Never seeing what she can't do...only what she can
  • Redefining "typical"
It's like Kris says about cancer, "It's not a gift because I wouldn't give it to you", but Autism has certainly blessed me. I see other parents worrying about the most trivial of things...never realizing the sheer gift it is for them to be able to hug and hold their growing child. Kennedy has severe Sensory Integration Dysfunction...she didn't want any touch for about 9-12 months. I'd hold her kicking and screaming just to give her a kiss and tell her that I loved her. :-)

So the next time you see a meltdown happening in a grocery store, don't assume that the mother can't control her kid, realize that s/he may be "1 in 110". Turn away. Or better yet hold the door for her.



I love you Kennedy. Yesterday. Tomorrow. Forever.

4 comments:

bitt said...

I have worked with children with autism and as you said there are negatives and pluses.

I an tell you are an amazing mom who is doing so much to help your daughter. And to educate others too. Thank you for what you do.

VeganFitMama said...

bitt- Thanks sooooooo much for that comment. The world of autism is amazing and difficult. Bless your heart for the work you've one. You rock...really you do

My boy, my life said...

A friend just sent me your blog, so I haven't had much time to read it, but I just wanted to say thank you for telling it like it is. It does suck, we have had so many rough days lately and quite frankly I am tired of autism!!!! I hate it! BUT BUT BUT I love my child like nothing else in this entire world, and have learned SO much because of him and his challenges then I EVER thought possible. I am thankful for that. I look forward to reading more about your blog!

hungrybecca said...

My son was diagnosed with autism at age 2. I agree with you. It is not a gift. It is something I absolutely could have lived without...I wandered onto your site because I'm about to do a green smoothie diet...and I read about your daughter.
Hang in there!

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin