Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Easy to Be Vegan, Chia Porridge Recipe, Post Workout Fuel Smoothie

65 degrees? And raining? And tomorrow it will be 24? WTF is happening? People global warming is real real real. Okay...enough of my rant.

I got up on my own at 5:15 am, but realized that I would have time this morning to work out so I went back to bed until 7. I was up really late updating my computer--major difficulty btw--

After I got Kay off to school I came straight home and did some kickboxing and a sweet ab circuit. Short, but great. I haven't been really training my abs directly, but definitely want to change that. Besides I know that...

Sexy Summer bodies are made in the Winter...

Grocery Haul: I got Costco to carry chia seeds!!! They aren't organic, but one step at a time right? They come from a reputably decent place and I can save on the shipping etc by buying them there. I have been craving chia pudding (recipe below) and so I'll be having it quite a bit for the next few days! Here is a cute article about 40 Ways to Use Chia Seeds. They are full of Omega-3s and calcium and fiber. Next time you are in the store, snatch some up. Throw em in a smoothie, oatmeal, cereal, etc!


Fruity Chia Porridge:
  • 1/3 c chia seeds
  • 1 c almond milk (you can use water too)
  • whisk together (used a fork)
  • let chill in fridge to gel together for about 15-30 minutes, but can be made the night or so before
  • added cinnamon (didn't measure)
  • diced apples (1 honeycrisp, 1 pink lady)
  • 1 sliced banana
  • stirred all together...devoured slowly
Today's Sexy Summer Abs Workout (I will repeat this later this week): 30 seconds each exercise/ go fully through the circuit and repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 rounds
  • scissors laying on the floor
  • weighted crunch
  • halos
  • torso twists
  • SB pikes (ouchhhh)
It was short but effective. I believe in really blasting the abs. Quality over quantity. I really focus on pulling my navel to my spine and exhaling when I crunch. I realize I have to give my abs more love over the next month.

Seriously the green smoothie I made today is my new favorite. No pic, but the recipe will be perfect!

New Fav PostWorkout Fuel:
  • Spinach (duh)
  • Frozen strawberries
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 scoop sunwarrior vanilla
  • 1 scoop greener grasses
  • Almond milk
  • 1 tsp flaxseeds
  • blend and drool :)

Easy Ways to be a Plant-Based Vegan:
  1. Start with ONE meal a day to focus on plants. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes and beans.
    1. Breakfast?- Fruit it up. Smoothies, oatmeal with fruit and flaxseeds....
    2. Lunch? Add a huge salad or soup before your normal meal. Put lots of lettuce and veggies on your sandwich or sub
    3. Dinner? Same as lunch!
    4. Snacks? Add green smoothies or fruit smoothies as a midday pick me up!
  2. Start by shopping on the perimeter of the store. This will have your brain focused on health. After seeing all those colorful veggies and fruits you will think twice about grabbing 2 bags of oreos off of Aisle 5.
  3. Think of crockpot dishes. You can try new veggies out next to ones you know well.
    1. Example: veggie low sodium broth, water, veggie bouillon cube as a base: add potatoes (sweet or not), lentils, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, garlic, onion and anything else you find.
    2. Not rocking with cooked cuz you are a raw foodie? Put em in your juice?
  4. Hard to be a healthy vegan or raw fooder without eating lots of veggies and fruits.
I identify myself as a plant-based vegan. period. I love plants. I prefer organic, but can be honest and say that I can't always afford it. If there is a choice to make, Kennedy gets the organic and I just deal with what is left. Things I do on Sundays to help me stay focused on plants are:
  1. Steaming huge amounts of veggies and putting them in containers
  2. Making a huge crockpot of soup (no real recipes or anything. Just veggie broth, water, veggie bouillon cubes and I add whatever veggies are in the fridge and some beans or legumes).
  3. Getting 4-5 heads of romaine to eat throughout the week. By Thursday they aren't as crisp, but I can't always get to the store in the middle of the week. I eat em kinda limp or I juice em at this point.
  4. Make a huge pot of quinoa, brown rice, or millet and store in fridge. I won't let it go bad. Sometimes I put it in my salad.
  5. Cook some beans or legumes and have ready to make a meatloaf, quick burgers, throw on a salad etc.
I am going to do a different challenge every month of the year. I know I can do this. Even if I wind up traveling or something and I can't use the weights, I'll do em bodyweight. I am really focusing on my glutes until Summer. Vain or not, I love my butt and want to develop it more! Anyone wanna join me?

February Challenge:
  1. Squats: Pick a number and weight to start with (or BW-bodyweight). Everyday add 5 more squats until you end the month.  will start with 25 squats with 15# weights. I am actually excited to do this!
  2. Green Smoothie: Have one a day for the entire month.
I will be up early tomorrow to get these glutes worked on! I think I will change up my training tomorrow.  Of course I will blog about it. I am thinking of designing a 500 workout. :)

No comments:

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin