Friday, February 1, 2013

Strong Upper Body Workout and Why I Love Home Gyms

I had a very early morning meeting for Kennedy at school. Um still didn't get up at 5. lol. Next week seriously I am back on my up early schedule. I had become so accustomed to getting so much stuff done and now I feel behind even though I am finding a way to fit it all in anyway.

After the hella windy frosty trip to her school I came right back in and got Kay settled and told her that I had to workout. Her Autism mandates that she have a schedule of exactly what is happening and what is happening next! I set her up with Fat Albert (her favorite show) in her room and went down in her playroom apartment/new home gym. I am starting to like the space more and more. It was weird at first to not be in the 5x5 space of my bedroom, but I really like it. Tomorrow I'll do a set of photos to show you exactly what is in there.

I did keep the spin bike in my bedroom and my black light as I intend to add spinning back into my routine! Okay back to today's workout.
photo 2.JPG

Strong Upper Body (total 4o mins warm up to cool down) 30 secs of each exercise back to back. Repeat for a total of 3 rounds
  1. Part I
    1. Alternating DB shoulder press
    2. Right arm single row
    3. Left arm single row
    4. Farmer walks with 20s
    5. Front raise/side raise
    6. Dips
    7. Superwomans on SB (I need to do these on bench)
    8. DB pullovers on ball (another one for the bench)
    9. Pushups (hands elevated. Need to work on my pushups)
    10. Plank
    11. 30 seconds of jumprope double unders (die)
photo 3.JPG
  1. Part II
    1. February Challenge: squats and green smoothie daily
      1. 20 squats with 15s
      2. Green smoothie
        1. 2 large banana
        2. frozen strawberries
        3. greener grasses
        4. sunwarrior vanilla
        5. almond milk
        6. flaxseeds
Why I love my Home Gym:

I have been a member of about 15 gyms. Everyone in this town with the exception of two. At one point I was a member of 3 gyms at once. Not because I'm a lunatic, but because one had a pool, the other had childcare, and the other had a private area for plyos so depending on what was designed for that day's workout, I picked which gym to go to. Um...crazy. AND a huge waste waste waste of my money.

The more I was forced (due to Kennedy's illnesses, weather/snow, time) to workout at home the more I remembered that I truly loved working out at home. Home workouts is how I got started back in 2003 when I lost my first set of pounds. I always loved the idea of how I could take all my time and put to working out...not driving etc. 

I do have a membership to a gym right now, but I don't go often. If I do it is to do treadmill intervals (my garage is frozen this time of year) and to do things I can't do here at home.

Reasons I go to the gym:
  1. Use the treadmill for my crazy intervals
  2. Use a few machines
    1. assisted pull-up
    2. assisted dips
    3. smith machine
Reasons I love working out at home:
  1. No drive time
  2. No fee- you can put that money towards home gym equipment
  3. Don't have to get super cute (even though I do anyway) but sometimes I train in my underwear and a bra top.
  4. All equipment is clean
  5. Never have to wait on ANYTHING
  6. Can listen to my music loud if Kay is not here
  7. Can sing to the top of my lungs (research shows it burns more calories to sing and workout)
  8. I do more creative things that I don't often have space for at the gym
    1. jump and turn burpees
Bottom line is if given the option I workout at home in a heartbeat. This time of year when gyms are packed with new comers and germs, I am happy to be at home with my music blasting in my underwear going hard.

 Instead of a 12 minute drive, 10 minutes to find a locker, 5 minutes to pee and get on the floor, another 5-7 to get everything organized and settled THEN start working out while sharing the equipment or space.... I am basically done with my at home workout.

If you are debating whether or not you should start a home gym, I highly suggest you do. I started a few years ago with 3s, 5s, and 8s and that is it. Your body can also be your gym and you can design AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) exercises around
  • squats
  • lunges
  • pushups
  • planks
  • dips
  • etc

NO EXCUSES!

photo 1.JPGChia Porridge I am loving right now
  • 1/3 c chia
  • 1 c almond milk
  • set 25 mins
  • cinnamon
  • 1 banana sliced
  • 1 honeycrisp apple diced
  • 1 pink lady apple diced
  • 1/2 c fresh strawberries


See you tomorrow with pictures and descriptions of my home gym. It will be cardio and abs tomorrow! I'm trying to lean out so let's see what I decide to do! Go eat plants!

1 comment:

Janice Rafael said...

It is amazing to such useful information at one place. I was looking for the same information from a long time, at last I found it. Thanks for such innovative and amazing information.
six pack shortcuts

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin