Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How and Why Green Smoothies and Raw Juices Keep Me on Track with Raw

First of all if you haven't been, head over to my facebook page.  :)
Photo
What's the hype with green juices and smoothies. First of all, if you are looking for pure nutrition...easily digestible, awesome plant matter juices and smoothies are the way to go.

Here's why:
  • Blended fruits and veggies already have the cell walls broken down and they are easily digestible, readily available nutrients
  • Juicers break into the cell wall and extract all the liquid gold contained within the fibers of the fruits and veggies.
  • You got bang for your buck
Photo
Here's How I Incoporate them on a daily basis:
  • Not a day goes by when I don't have a juice or a smoothie
  • It is easy to quickly throw almond milk, bananas, frozen berries and spinach into my vitamix and whiz it around for a few seconds.
  • Juice sometimes can be time consuming NO MATTER how awesome your juicer is. If I am pressed for time, I make a smoothie and drink a juice before dinner. I try to stop eating a few hours before bed (this works most days), and then I drink my juice on a basically "empty" stomach so that I can receive all of the benefits from it

What they have done for me along my raw food journey:
  • People can be so obsessed with being "raw" that they forget the real reason behind the choice. The real reasons for me were to
    • lose weight
    • feel vibrant
    • live authentically in alignment with my vegan life principles
  • This can be accomplished by several means... struggling mentally or physically to remain raw isn't something to waste precious life energy on. However, eating a whole foods plant based diet IS a reason to fight past processed junk food. With that said a daily green smoothie and/or juice puts me in a "raw frame of mind". You are  whatever you think you are. If you think you are a raw foodist, then you ARE ONE.

PhotoConsuming juices/smoothies on a budget:
  • I'm broke. It's no secret. I do most everything on a budget. No choice. Single mom of a special needs kiddo: gotta do what I gotta do :)
  • Bananas...duh...cheap. Costco for frozen fruit. Coupons for organic frozen fruit.
  • I don't make my own almond milk often at all. Maybe twice a year. I buy Silk Almond Milk. Not very expensive.
  • I "add on" to my smoothies with flax/chia/carob/spirulina (hardly everyday buys)
  • Juice: Costco: veggies in bulk. Simple juices... celery, kale (few stalks at a time not a whole bunch per day geez), apple, carrot, lemon, ginger (cheapo), etc.
  • Keeping it all simple is the best way to go. Ignore all those recipes for 50 ingredient smoothies and juices.
Photo
Steps to make them a part of your EVERYDAY life:
  • Contrary to popular belief you don't need a Breville or a Vitamix to make your juice/smoothie dreams come true
  • You can get a great blender from Target and a juicer as well for a total of $100. My mom did. Her juicer has been with her for years and she just recently got a vitamix, but you don't HAVE to.
  • Drink em first thing in the morning or freeze your bananas and see it as a dessert. Fit em in whenever you KNOW you'll drink em. Use it as your pre dinner "pick me up".
Photo
Don't see the raw lifestyle as an all or nothing. Realize that you can slowly ease into all of this and green juices and smoothies are truly the way to do it. You KNOW that you will be receiving optimal nutrition and in that moment will be doing one of the very best things for your health and body.Photo

No comments:

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin