Tuesday, September 3, 2013

In Defense of Vegans: Paleo vs Vegan Living

I am vegan. I have no intentions on every consuming meat again in my life. As a part of my spiritual practices I don't pass judgment on those who choose to eat meat. I am however 100% against its production (In any way) and consumption.
 
(photo source: pedaling for peace)

I am ready to discuss the Paleo Movement.... especially vegans turned Paleo which seems to be happening a lot. I personally know four vegans that have turned Paleo in the last year or so.

If you've read this blog (and don't live under a rock) you know that a vegan is someone who abstains from eating animals or animal by-products. This includes all seafood, chicken, fish, beef, pork, eggs, dairy milk, cheese including wearing leather. Some people are vegan for ethical reasons, others for health reasons, and some for environmental reasons.  Paleo eaters believe in consuming animal foods, wild vegetables, fruits in season, and limited amounts of nuts and seeds. They believe that our bodies are built for these foods based off of using what we ate before the agricultural revolution.


My thoughts are that this whole Paleo thing is that it is a way to revive the Atkins diet with a more healthful spin (inclusion of fruits and veggies). All of that meat eating can't possibly be good for your heart. Of course now there are people and books attempting to debunk The China Study... speaking out against Neal Barnard and his research on Reversing Diabetes. It's insane. Who reading this doesn't agree that eating plants is a healthy thing? WTF?

I know that people like to hear good things about their bad habits. So, if someone wants to eat lots of junk food, they will find a website that tells them eating McDonald's everyday for a year can yield a 15 lb weight loss.

What I don't understand is this huge movement of people going back to eating meat. All I can think is that they didn't have a balanced plant based vegan or vegetarian diet to begin with. They may have had 5 super stressful years and the stress took a toll on their health and they blamed the veggies. Let me say that I think that people should do whatever they feel is best for their health and the health of their children. But, to always blame the diet they eat when health encompasses so much more than what we put into our mouths is insane.

Vegan Soapbox: Do Most Vegans Go Back to Eating Meat

I also can't understand how people hop from diet to diet and say that each one is THE BEST thing they have every experienced. Raw, vegan, now paleo. What gives?

People have always labeled vegans as judgmental, critical, and protesting weirdoes. Well, there is an entire fricking movement AGAINST vegans.



I do not believe that animals are ours to eat. I simply don't. Maybe I am one of those hippie types, but my soul yearns for grains and veggies...fresh juice and sweet home baked goods. I don't ever have any thoughts about eating animals. I honestly feel like vegans live a different frequency than our meat eating counterparts.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit.  If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.  ~Harvey Diamond
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.  ~Paul McCartney

The beef industry has contributed to more American deaths than all the wars of this century, all natural disasters, and all automobile accidents combined.  If beef is your idea of "real food for real people" you'd better live real close to a real good hospital.  ~Neal Barnard
In Defense of Vegans:

  •  We have a right to eat plants and not hear "Where do you get your protein?" 1000 times a day
  • We are making the world a better place by not contributing to the sky rocketing problem with our waterways
  • We don't contribute to the destruction of land mass by using huge cleared out to grow grain that should feed people, but that we feed the animals to plump up...kill and THEN eat
  • We don't support cruelty...in any shape or form
I am proud to be vegan and kinda sick of hearing every meat eater and new found Paleo lover telling me how my health will deteriorate and how vegans are what's wrong with the world. If I am wrong for being concerned with the health of this planet and the safety of animals as it pertains to a meat eater's plate then so be it. Guilty as charged. I don't walk around restaurants giving Veg Starter Guides to meat eaters like I used to. But, I won't sit idly by as this growing Paleo movement sucks people's money and convinces them that they are making the best health choice for themselves and the planet.

Off of my Vegan Soapbox



2 comments:

Shadow said...

I'm a vegan and I wonder about ex-vegans too. I think many of them probably go back to being omnivores because of a lack of support - as well as the isolating extremism of some in the vegan community. Not all of us want to be involved in activism - and not all of us are vegans because of animal rights. I think that is okay, but I have seen so many radical vegans who trash on the more moderate ones among us.

ngocminh nguyen said...

Love your post. I always follow your blog to read many great post. Thank you so much!
Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

Share!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin